Thursday, February 5, 2009

Road Trip....

I promise I will have more pictures soon....
I had a blast we started off to Pullman Washington and it was a mess. We woke up to Snow. Yep more snow in Oregon. We jumped in the truck and headed out anyway. My husband is such the trooper. I, being the co-pilot, was really just along for the ride.
We got out of town and onto i-84. By this time it was snowing even worse and we were getting worried. We fueled up in Troutdale and I got coffee and again we were off. No rest for the weary, especially when the snow is falling and it's 29 degrees outside.
We did good on I-84 until Boneville Hill where people were losing the ability to think rationally. I mean when you have a layer of ice and then 2-3 inches of snow do you really think it's a good idea to pass trucks going 60??? And, to pass those same trucks who have their hazards on because of vehicles in the ditch ahead. I couldn't understand it but their were angels on I-84 that day.
We came around a corner and in the blink of an eye the truck in front of us started to lose it and slide sideways in the tunnel. The 4-wheeler (regular car) in between us was losing it and then their was us.
My husband just calm cool and collect talked me through the whole thing. He used his Jake brakes and straightened out and and saved us and the car in front of us. He is a professional driver. He amazed me with the way he maneuvered this huge piece of machinery like it was a feather and made sure we were all safe and made sure my mind was at ease. My hero. Such a Cliche, but true.



So, then it was the hill after the tunnel. Yep you guessed it, we didn't make it. But this didn't stop us either. Derek jumps out and throws chains. That's the picture you see above. Just look at all of the trucks. We completely shut down the eastbound side for about an hour for this. I did take pictures of a State trooper giving a ticket to a driver who was refusing to put chains on. That is one big no no. I really think that he just didn't have any of them to begin with. He was in a Big Rig and was trying to weave in and out of all of the trucks and didn't make it. I think he might of had chains on at one point in time but put them on wrong and they fell off.

I will write more tomorrow and add more pictures. I have pictures of Colfax Washington (below) which makes me think of Mayberry and Andy,Opie, and Aunt Bee. I can just imagine sitting in front of a General store drinking an ice cold Cherry Coke and gabbing with the ladies....Good times. Just a thought to leave you all with.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you got home safe and sound and that you had a good time.

I have tried to log onto the support site but for some reason haven't been able to, I'll keep trying!