Saturday, July 19, 2008

Today I am Thankful

I try to start each day thanking God for the gifts that he has given me. I have my boys, my family, friends, and my life. I have been given a really good life.
This morning I was thinking back to when I worked at Starbucks. I loved giving free samples of the latest treats and this woman came up and took one. She smiled and politely said thank you. A few minutes later she started choking on the sweet treat. I quickly grabbed a cup of water without thinking and brought it to her. I rubbed her back and talked to her until she was able to get it down. Now, she wasn't choking in the sense that it blocked all airways but more like when you swallow wrong. When she composed herself she apologized to me and said that she knew better than to take it and it was her own fault. I said, I don't understand. She told me she has MS and that it causes her to have trouble swallowing. She saw the treat and just had to have one. My first response was "Did you get to taste it?" She said yes and that she would go through it all over again just to taste it again. She Thanked me again and left smiling.
What a great attitude to have. I can understand that it could have been an embarrassing moment for her. God knows how many people have seen me trip over my feet or walk into walls and until now I only thought I was clumsy. OK, so I am clumsy. I've forgot the milk in the car and put the butter in the pantry. I've left my Gucci sunglasses at the counter at Starbucks and after spending $5.00 on a drink left that there too. I've gotten in the car and backed it out and forgot where I was going. I got half way to work one day before I realized I forgot to put my make-up on. Just a few things that go along with this whole Meningioma thing.
I want to adopt the idea that I would do it again. I might have fallen down but I get right back up again. It's only butter and milk and I can get more. If I forget where I'm heading then why not just go somewhere fun until I figure it out. I'm learning to roll with the punches. This is the start of a good day and I'm taking it for all that it is.
Today I am thankful for beautiful sleeping children in dreamland. So peaceful and I can't believe that I created them.

No comments: